Some days I’m so pumped to work on my current writing project that I get on my computer before it’s even light out. My characters speak to me, the story plays out in my head like a movie, and I can’t wait to get it down on paper (well, on the computer screen).
However, today is not one of those days. Here’s why…
1. I woke up to rain and grey skies. No rainbow this morning. I feel as if I need to sleep for at least another 3 hours, and I have a headache. It’s hard to be creative when my head hurts and I’m yawning. Is it really not Monday?
2. I’m still psyched about yesterday’s book release, BREATHING SPACE. How does an author spend their time after a new release? Coming up with fresh ways to promote the book…and checking ranking numbers on the online book sellers’ websites. Every fifteen minutes!
3. The characters in my work in progress are not speaking to me; in fact, I have no idea where to take them today.
4. My mind is focused on my website, which I’m revamping with a new (to me) website builder. Huge learning curve. When I work on a project like this, I become slightly obsessed with it. Tweak here, refine there, change this colour, move that graphic…(stay tuned)
5. Today’s schedule is filled with non-author commitments which are distracting me–aquatfit, lunch out, recorder duet rehearsal, choir practise. Hope I manage to tap enough energy to get through all that.
So I think I’ll just give in. No writing today. Instead I’ll work on my website. And make myself a second cup of coffee to try and beat the rainy day blahs.